EXAMPLE OF A STARTING WITH THE BASICS WORKSHEET FOR HCS 301
NOW UPDATED TO APA FORMAT...
Page 2 of 8 pages
Complete the worksheet, and submit to the facilitator for grading.
This assignment will help you to become familiar with the resources available on the student Web site (https://ecampus.phoenix.edu). You will also be reviewing the parts of the writing process, rules of writing, APA guidelines, plagiarism, and critical thinking. Each question is worth 1 point.
To answer questions 1 through 18, log on to the University of Phoenix Student Web at https://ecampus.phoenix.edu/, and explore the resources available on the site.
Starting With the Basics Worksheet
Plagiarism and Critical Thinking
19. Define plagiarism in your own words. Explain the difference between summarizing, paraphrasing, and plagiarizing. How will you avoid plagiarism in your college work? Explain in at least 50 words.
Plagiarism is a serious violation and is an unauthorized use of someone else’s idea and thoughts with your name without crediting the author, either knowingly or unknowingly. Summarizing is a brief abstract of previously stated facts or statements whereas Paraphrasing is a restatement of a text or passage giving the meaning in another form or rewording to create clearness. The major reason plagiarism occur is due to missing citation for information obtain or missing quotation marks for a direct quotations. To avoid plagiarism we just need to follow six simple rules:
• Use citation for other’s idea even if you are using your own words.
• Use citation for any idea which is not common knowledge.
• Add citation with page and paragraph number.
• Use quotation marks for all the phrases that are copied from a source.
• Avoid mistakes using citation.
• Do not use too much citation as it will consider plagiarism because the paper will not contain much of your idea. Always follow the instructor’s guidance regarding using direct quotation.
20. Why are critical thinking skills necessary in writing? Explain in at least 50 words.
Critical thinking is very essential tool in all steps of writing such as choosing topic and audience, researching & planning and brainstorming but most of all we need to be a critical thinker while revising and we need to ask ourselves this question:
• Dose the paper fulfill the requirements?
• Is it audience appropriated?
• Is it well organized?
• Will the introduction capture attention?
• Is it clean, concise & simple
Other Papers in APA Format for HCS 301:
Top of Page: Starting With the Basics
Great strategies and one phenomenal tool to help you paraphrase and re-write material for outstanding papers right now. Click here to find out how.
“If a window of opportunity appears, don’t pull down the shade”.